Monday, March 30, 2009

Responsibility and Entitlement

Why is it that in today's society we feel "entitled" to things. We are entitled to a job, a house, a car. Nobody wants to accept responsibility for anything. This is really hacking me off! People are suing gun manufacturers because they used the gun in the commission of a crime! WTF!?? "Oh, if you hadn't manufactured that gun I never would have shot my boyfriend. It's not my fault!" People have got to learn to stand up and take responsibility for the things that they do, or DON'T do.

If you want a house, WORK FOR IT! If you want a good job, SHOW UP FOR WORK! If you don't like your car, GET A JOB! Nobody handed me anything when I was growing up. I purchased my first car. It wasn't a Ferrari but a 72 Dodge Dart. Sure, I would have loved a Ferrari, but that wasn't what I could afford. I didn't expect anyone to walk up and say "You deserve a Ferrari because you are a lovely human being." I saved my money from my job for six months, got $500.00 together, and found a vehicle in that price range.

People get irritated with me for not having the free time to do things, but that is because I work and spend time with my family. My boys are getting older and I know that they will be gone soon. This is my last chance to instill the values in them that I think they should have. One of those values is this "Nobody is going to hand you what you want on a silver platter. If you want to go to college, do it like I did. Work for it. Get scholarships and jobs to work your way through. If you want a car, start saving that money and get a job. If you mess up, own up! You will get in three times as much trouble for covering it up, lying about it, or trying to blame it on someone else." I will have done my job if I can get these things through to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment