Monday, August 23, 2010

Bloggers Unite! Ciberspace is not inside a City Limit!

The brilliant people in Philadelphia have decided that if you write a blog, you are a business. Therefore, you owe them money.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/philly-requiring-bloggers-to-pay-300-for-a-business-license-101264664.html

This is so similar to what happened to me with the City of Jefferson. I live in the county, well outside the Jefferson City Limits. I received a notice that I owed the city $178.00 for a business license. I went in to inquire why I would have to buy a business license for Jeff City since I live in the county. Their response was to ask me if I had any clients that live in Jeff City. Why yes I did.

If I had clients that lived in Jefferson city, then I had to buy a business license for jefferson city. I asked them if they also dunned Amazon, Microsoft, and Google for a business license. She got huffy and I told them to take me to court if they wanted my money. I told them I lived in the county and they had absoloutly no right to dun me for such a stupid thing.

That was two years ago. I still haven't heard anything from anyone, so I guess they decided to drop the issue. If I hadn't stood up for myself though, they would have intimidated the money out of me. How many others have they extorted from? I hope all of these folks form a class action suit for harassment and intimidation and sue Philadelpia for every dime they have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment