Friday, October 22, 2010

Taxes on the Middle Class

My project is about to end and I am about to be unemployed again. Guess what I am finding. None of the offers I am getting include health insurance, or if they do the premiums per month are $850-1250.00. In order to pay that amount for the insurance and still make a decent wage, I would have to earn $70.00/hour.

I talked to my CPA and that amount puts me in what he calls the "sweet spot" for taxes. At that wage my tax bracket falls into the 46% range for self employed Corp to Corp contracts or 1099 contract. Most of the time that is what you end up doing as a contractor. Very few W2 positions are available these days. After January 1, when the George Bush tax breaks run out, that puts me in the 54% tax bracket. I am making considerably less than the $250,000.00/year mark. So BHO, please, tell me how I end up giving over half of my pay check to the federal government because I am self employed? Another quarter of it is going to health insurance. That leaves 25% for my family and I to pay bills, buy food and gas, and scrape by.

It doesn't pay to work for yourself in America anymore. Now, if I turn all my property over the to the government, stay unemployed, and live off of the sweat of other people who are struggling to get by, well then I have it made. They will pay for my healthcare, give me plenty of food to eat, give me housing, and let me watch Jerry Springer all day on my reduced rate electricity. I just have to sell them my soul,... and my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment