Monday, September 27, 2010

Healthcare Woes Continue

Well, the 15th of this month the new Healthcare Law went into effect. This law stated that healthcare could not be denied based on pre-existing conditions. Here's the caveat - it only applied to persons 19 years old or younger. So, for a diabetic person over the age of 19, they are still free to deny us coverage. And what was the answer to this law going into effect? I was told today that the insurance companies have cancelled all of their Child Only policies and are not carrying that coverage any more. ROFLMAO Did he really think he could corner them that way? HA HA HA.

So what has brought this on? I am royally screwed again. As a diabetic who takes insulin, I am an automatic decline for any insurance policy. I am considering taking a new position, but the monthly premiums are, hold onto your hats, $988.54 per month for a family policy. Yes, $1000/month, or $12,000/year. And add a $3000 dollar deductible to that which doesn't cover doctor visits or meds. So I started looking at Private Health Insurance costs to see if I could find it cheaper. That's where I found out that because they put me on insulin I am now completely uninsurable. When I was on oral meds they would exclude me for a year and then cover me. Now they won't even bother talking to me.

Oh, but that is not the best part. Because I can't get private insurance... and because the new Healthcare Law has done away with Child Only policies, I can't get insurance for either of my children now as well. They won't cover me, and my boys can't get insurance unless they are on my policy! Is that really what you meant to do Mr. Obama? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment