Friday, May 7, 2010

An open letter to McCaskill, my Senator, on Healthcare

Senator McCaskill,


I have been trying to contact you regarding the Obamacare package that you and the other Democrats shoved through. I am one of those people that you claimed to want to protect. I am a diabetic with high blood pressure and a family history of colon cancer. No insurance wants to touch me, so I am forced to remain working at my current job where they have to cover me under their group policy. My employer does not pay the premium though, they just provide me access.

I just found out that as of January 1st, the insurance company changed it's policy about my deductibles. Doctors visits and tests as well as hospitalization and ER visits are not covered until I reach the deductible limit of $2000.00. My rates have also jumped as well. I was paying around $220.00 per month, for myself alone. Now it's up to $250.00 per month, still just for me. When I added my two children on the monthly rate doubled to over $400.00 per month, so I had to go to our home insurer and get private insurance for each child. My husbands employer doesn't allow insurance to cover family members. Because of the way the beans feel when they counted them, each of my boys has a seperate policy with a different company. Each of them now has a $2500.00 deductible that must be met, as well as my husbands $500.00 deductible. So I have $8,000.00 worth of deductibles that must be met every year before my health insurance helps me at all. Of course I have to add the $1400.00 worth of premiums that I have to pay over the course of a year. I am now at $9,400.00 per year outlay for health insurance.

Last year I had a doctor's visit deductible of $250.00 and a hospital/testing deductible of $2500.00. My children had a $500.00 deductible all the way around. I spent $2400.00 total last year on premiums and bills for everyone. I know this because we just figured it up for the taxes. So, thanks to your passage of the healthcare bill, my medical outlay has risen from $2400.00 per year to $9,400.00 per year.

Oh, and here is the really fun part. I had to take my youngest to the hospital for dehydration when he had the flu in february and they are refusing to either pay or count that cost towards his deductible. At first they tried to tell me the flu was a pre-existing condition, but that didn't fly. They tell me now that it did not require treatment in an ER Setting, therefore it doesn't count. That I used the system inappropriately. That when my son started throwing up and having diarrhea on Friday night and was so weak by Sunday morning, when I took him to the ER, that he could barely sit up, I was using the medical system inappropriately.

So I just wanted you to know how much you had "helped" me. And I just found out that next year, my premium rates may jump to $750.00 per month, because under your new law they can charge me, as a high risk person, three times what the average premium is for my policy. I really hope you read this, because I don't think you realize that you have just ruined alot of lives. I am seriously looking at dropping all healthcare now and paying your penalty because I cannot afford to pay $750.00 per month for a premium. I may also have to stop taking some of my medicine because I can't afford to go to the doctor and pay the labs and pay for the medicine required to treat my diabetes and blood pressure now.

Thanks for nothing.

Thought you were supposed to help us
Jefferson City, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment