Saturday, March 20, 2010

Liberals and Catholics? How do the Co-Exist?

I have worked in state government for a long time. In Missouri the majority of the workers in State Government are Catholic. Being a Baptist, I have stepped on the toes of my co-workers several times simply by being ignorant of the Catholic faith. It is amazing to me how much of the Catholic faith is injected into our current Government by the workers. One thing that still confuses me though is this. How can such devout Catholics also be Democratic Liberals?

These devout Catholics support a party that wants to do away with religion and provide federal funds for abortions? I just don't understand how these folks can reconcile these two points of view. Maybe it's because I'm a Baptist and am still ignorant of the traditions. I've been around them a long time, but I don't know what drives this.

I applaude the folks like Stupak who are standing up for their beliefs that they cannot support a bill which provides federal funds for abortions. Good for them. I wish that more politicians were as honest as they are. That more of them could not be bought off with bull crap like the Louisiana Purchase and the Corn Husker Kickback. If they pass this bill tomorrow, I fear that it may be a pivotal point in our nations history. That long awaited moment may be nearing. The south may truly rise again, and tell this Yankee liberal exactly where he can put his thermometer.

No comments:

Post a Comment